Many experts believe that turmeric, and its active ingredient curcumin, can play a crucial role in natural healing of vitiligo. Even though the exact cause of vitiligo is not known yet, a strong hypothesis believes autoimmune problems including vitiligo can be a result of ‘leaky gut syndrome’. By helping you improve your gut health and leaky gut syndrome, turmeric can help aid recovery from vitiligo.
What is Leaky Gut Syndrome?
Leaky gut refers to a leak in the gut (the entire digestive tract from the mouth to the anus). When we eat, the food travels through many parts of the gut such as the mouth, esophagus, and stomach, before reaching the small intestine where it undergoes complete digestion. At this stage, the nutrients get absorbed into the bloodstream and waste byproducts (like undigested food, bad bacteria, heavy metals, and other toxins) get filtered out by the liver. During this process, the fat-soluble toxins are rejected through the large intestine in the form of feces, and the water-soluble toxins are eliminated through the kidneys in the form of urine. However, in case of leaky gut, larger waste particles seep into the bloodstream, causing the immune system to trigger an autoimmune response, leading to skin inflammation or in some cases depigmentation.
Turmeric and Vitiligo
Turmeric can improve digestion, increase fat metabolism, enhance liver detoxification, reduce gut inflammation, and thus balance the immune system. Curcumin in turmeric has been shown to have several health benefits that can help manage vitiligo symptoms, including:
- Anti-inflammation (Curcumin is a powerful natural anti-inflammatory compound)
- Liver detoxification (Curcumin stimulates bile production and aids in gallbladder contraction, improving liver function and promoting liver detoxifying enzymes)
- Improved digestion (Turmeric reduces digestive system inflammation and helps neutralize intestinal parasites, leading to better digestion)
- Immune regulation (Curcumin is a potent natural immunomodulator that can control inflammation and modify the immune system’s response)
- Reduced oxidative stress (Curcumin has strong antioxidant activity, neutralizing free radicals in the body)
Hence, by incorporating curcumin extract capsules into your routine for approximately 3 months, along with following a nutritious diet, adopting a positive lifestyle, and managing stress, you may be able to halt the progression of vitiligo spots and even promote the return of skin pigment in affected areas.
Note: Given no home remedy has been globally proclaimed as an effective treatment for vitiligo, please consult a doctor/dietician (and get your allergies checked) before incorporating curcumin extract capsules into your existing treatment or lifestyle.