Menu
in ,

Vitiligo Crusaders| Page 25 | The girl with “Tough Skin”

Jasmine Abena Colgan, the creator of Tough Skin project, has been helping vitiligo fighters realize their mesmerizing beauty.

Jasmine Abena Colgan

Pic: Jasmine Abena Colgan's Instagram

If you are an internet savvy vitiligo fighter, you must know what Tough Skin project is. You must be aware of how this project raises awareness of vitiligo through images and creates a world of acceptance for people who look different. But, not many know about the story behind the creation of Tough Skin.

“My mom is from Ghana, and my dad is Irish. So, I am a woman of mixed race turning white,” this is how Jasmine Abena Colgan, the creator of Tough Skin project, introduces herself. Jasmine was diagnosed with vitiligo in September 2011. “I was 21 when I received my first patch. It was on my thigh and then spread to my arms,” she recalls her first encounter with vitiligo.

Jasmine felt alone and wondered if other people looked like her. Feeling depressed and heartbroken, she started to document her skin changes through imagery and expressed her feelings in a journal. During her journey to self-acceptance, she turned to social media to express herself and started connecting with people across the world with the same skin disorder. Hence, the idea of Tough Skin, a multimedia project, came into existence.

Tough Skin has driven Jasmine to travel to many cities and states to connect with hundreds of people throughout this world. She uses her project as a support group to encourage others to embrace their skin. Before traveling to a new location, she organizes a gathering at a public location for everyone to join and creates a group. These gatherings are filled with hugs, smiles, waves of laughter, and photographs.

Today Jasmine owns her vitiligo and is proud of it. “I don’t use any treatments. I get contacted about using some but refuse to do so. I’ve only understood vitiligo as an adult. And, it took me about four years to get used to living with vitiligo. I listened to a lot of music to get me through my hard times.” she shares some bits from her vitiligo journey.

Jasmine feels that people with vitiligo deserve a brighter spotlight. Hence, they need more representation in the book, movies and any other means of popular culture. “So what are some things that people often get wrong about your vitiligo?” We asked her. She replies “This is a hard condition to battle through. Vitiligo is not contagious. It bothers me when people assume that.”

At present, Jasmine is living in Denver, Colorado and studying interdisciplinary media arts practices. She also teaches digital photo for non-majors “I am in the process of finishing my memoir and, starting a new project of giving back to the world,” she sheds some light on her upcoming projects.

You can help fund Jasmine’s Tough Skin project and donate through PayPal. To know more, visit photographsbyjazz.com.

Exit mobile version